What Should You Ask Your General Contractor?
Step One - Describe the Construction Work to Your General Contractor.
Step Two - Get Your Questions Answered.
- How long have you been builders in Orange County and Los Angeles? Are you licensed and in good standing?
- How many projects have you done? How many are like yours?
- Are there names and numbers of clients that you can call as references?
- Will you provide a written bid? How long will it take to prepare a written bid?
- Will you provide a written contract that details the, materials to be used?
- Do you provide plans?
- Do you carry workers’ compensation and liability insurance?
- Will construction permits be needed? If so, will the general contractors be responsible for getting those permits?
- Will you be hiring subcontractors for the project and if so, how are those subcontractors selected?
- Do you provide a guarantee or warranty on your work?
Step Three - Get Written Estimates and Make a Decision
Step Four – Insure Great Communication During Construction
Perhaps the most important question to ask is – Do you trust the contractor? Remember, they are going to be working in your home.